Dropshipping is becoming a viable option for small entrepreneurs and side hustlers as it gives the freedom to become an online merchant without stocking up the inventory. If you are wondering whether or not Shopify is a good platform for it, spare a few minutes to read this guide on how to dropship on Shopify here.
Without a doubt, Shopify has been the number 1 choice of drop shippers over the years. It seamlessly connects sellers to thousands of wholesale vendors who can fulfill your orders at reasonable costs. Also, its intuitive interface and compatibility with third-party applications make it a perfect place to start for beginners.
In this article, I will cover every bit of the information you need to get started with Shopify. We will also discuss the business requirement, pricing plans, and a few tips for you to get going. Let’s find out.
Table of Contents
- Dropshipping with Shopify In 2023
- Shopify Dropshipping: Before You Begin…
- Start Dropshipping in 5 Easy Steps
- Final Words On How To Dropship On Shopify
Dropshipping with Shopify In 2023
Shopify is a Canadian multinational e-commerce platform allowing sellers across the world to build their stores and connect to customers. With over 1.7 million businesses in 175 countries, it’s one of the largest point-of-sale platforms in the world.
When it comes to dropshipping, Shopify has all the bells & whistles, allowing merchants to build their stores, connect to dropshipping vendors, and manage all business activities smoothly. Through the Shopify app store, you can directly connect to hundreds of dropship stores,
With a starting price of just $29/month, it’s an affordable option for aspiring sellers and small businesses. Shopify also provides enough tools to manage business activities, advertising, payments, and more. You can easily include product listings from vendors in your Shopify store which give you the chance to launch a full-fledged store with the products of your choice.
Here are some highlights of Shopify dropshipping:
- Get your e-store up and running within 24 hours, thanks to the easy interface.
- Easy design tools to help you build a professional website without any programming.
- Numerous setup guides and tutorials to help you go through the registration and account setup.
- Shopify app store has hundreds of third-party apps to automate and manage your business activities such as payment processing, CRM, supplier database, and more.
- The free trial period allows you to test things out before going premium.
Shopify Dropshipping: Before You Begin…
Before you set up your website, there are a bunch of legal requirements and formalities you need to fulfill. Let’s take a look:
1. Business License
Although you don’t need a business license for dropshipping, it might come in handy in the future when you expand your horizons. Also, having a business license adds to your credibility and genuinity as a business owner.
2. Income Tax Proof
Depending on your geographic location, you might need proof of your tax history. Ensure you have all the legal documents that qualify you as a genuine taxpayer of your country.
3. Legal Terms & Conditions
To protect your business from any legal trouble in the future, you must dictate the terms & conditions related to your brand and business. Also, to build faith among customers, your policy regarding personal data collection should be loud and clear. Customers need to feel comfortable while entering their personal details as well as bank account details.
4. Proof of Legitimacy
It’s not necessary but definitely helpful to get legitimate documents from a recognized source. This will help you build relations with suppliers and customers.
5. Payment and Refund Policy
Customers love hassle-free returns and refunds and it’s crucial to mention your return policies on your website to avoid any future conflicts. Make sure you specify every detail such as the return period, terms & conditions of returning, refund duration, and so on.
Start Dropshipping in 5 Easy Steps
The best thing about Shopify dropshipping is that you can build your store while still hunting for the products to sell. Compared to traditional selling where you need to purchase the inventory in advance, it’s more convenient.
Another advantage of Shopify dropshipping is that you can register for a free trial and build your store, connect to vendors, and set up the whole website. If you feel ready to start, you need to pay for the monthly subscription and with one click, your website will be up and running.
This is how you begin dropshipping on Shopify:
1. Register on Shopify
Start by creating a free account on Shopify. Initially, you will be registered for a free trial where you can use all the tools to build your store, find and analyze suppliers and their products, and add products to your store.
To register, take the following steps:
- Go to the Shopify homepage and click on Start free trial.
- Follow the on-screen instructions and provide the necessary information about your business idea, and brand.
- Choose a store name. Make sure the name reflects your motive and defines the products perfectly.
- Choose your country and enter your valid email address.
You’ve just created your Shopify store. Use the options from the left column to add products, and further set up your website.
2. Hunt for Products and Vendors
Finding a profitable product is crucial for any business. Try to pick low-cost items that are easy to sell and can generate decent profit for you. Avoid popular categories such as books, smartphones, computers, branded items, etc as there is strong competition in these niches.
Stationery items, pet accessories, and handicraft items are a few product categories you can target as a beginner.
Once you’ve decided on the product, go to the Shopify app store and search for dropship vendors and compare their prices, and reviews. Here are some top dropshipping apps on Shopify:
- Printful – A popular POD service that allows you to buy custom-printed clothes and accessories.
- Beardsy – A leading hair treatment company with high-quality products.
- Modalyst – It’s a good option for US and European suppliers.
- Blingy – A well-known wholesale supplier of jewelry and accessories.
- My Online Fashion Store – An American fashion company, supplying clothes and accessories.
3. Add Products
Once you have the products to sell, create product listings using the Oberlo app. Here you can search for products using categories, and keywords and easily compare the prices and vendor information.
With Oberlo, you can find out:
- The wholesale cost of the product
- You can check how many dropshippers have opted for a particular product and what qualities have they ordered.
- Analyze the shipping method, duration, and overhead costs.
- Ratings and reviews of suppliers.
Once you are satisfied with the product and supplier, simply click on Import listing. You can further modify the details from the Import list on your Shopify dashboard.
4. Setup Your Store
When you have enough products to showcase on your website, it’s time to finalize things and set up your online store:
- Choose a Shopify theme and modify it according to your preference. Choose a theme and color scheme that fits your brand and products.
- Add a navigation menu, and welcome message, and create an attractive homepage for your website.
- Specify shipping details (cost, duration, return policy)
- Add customer service information (contact number, email ID, etc)
- Add payment and tax information.
- Choose a domain name for your website.
5. Start Advertising
Don’t wait for the customers to find you. Once your website is live, start the promotion as soon as you can. You can use various social media channels such as Facebook, Instagram, Reddit, etc to create posts about your store and products. Shopify allows you to connect to various social platforms for a smooth import of posts.
You can also write blogs, and create video advertisements on Instagram, Youtube, or Tik Tok. There is always an option to invest some money in paid advertisements such as affiliate marketing, social media influencers, or just Google/Facebook ads.
Final Words On How To Dropship On Shopify
As you can see, it’s quite straightforward to create a Shopify dropshipping store, however, you need to be patient and implement clever strategies to generate traffic to your store. You just need a profitable product and sound marketing knowledge to survive in the arena.
Visit the official Dropshipping page and you can find a bunch of information on the business model, requirements, and tips & tricks. You can also turn to e-commerce business articles, podcasts, and dropshipping tutorials to know the technicalities of the business.
- How to Get Reviews on Amazon In 2023 (7 Best Ways) - February 4, 2023
- How To Sell Clothes On Amazon In 2023 (Detailed Guide) - February 4, 2023
- Helium 10 vs Viral Launch 2023: Which One Is Right For You? - February 2, 2023