Are you not sure about How to Sell on Amazon Handmade? Well, We got you covered. It’s a great way to make money while following your hobby or craftsmanship. Considering the growing demand for unique, personalized, and sustainable products, it’s worth investing in this niche.
Launched in 2015, Amazon Handmade offers a unique platform for artisans to reach millions of online customers. While Etsy has dominated the market for online handcrafted products, Amazon, the largest online marketplace, is rapidly gaining ground.
This article will guide you through all aspects of Amazon Handmade, including a step-by-step process for registering and selling your products on the platform. Let’s get going with How to Sell on Amazon Handmade.
How to Sell on Amazon Handmade?
Amazon Handmade is a sub-division of Amazon that’s specifically designed to sell handcrafted products. It can be seen as a community for artisans where they can showcase their unique handmade items to customers globally.
The marketplace only allows handmade products such as hand-stitched, hand-assembled, hand-altered, etc. You can’t sell any factory-produced items on the platform. It ensures that the customers receive handmade products that are both unique and of high quality.
By only permitting handmade products, Amazon Handmade stands out from other online marketplaces and provides a distinctive shopping experience for those who appreciate one-of-a-kind items.
Here are some product categories allowed on Amazon handmade:
- Scented candles
- Pillow covers, curtains, carpets, etc
- Wallets and handbags
- Home decor items
- Jewelry boxes
- Kitchen Dining
- Toys & Games
- Sporting Goods
To sell on Amazon Handmade, you must first meet the qualifications to be a Handmade seller. After that, the rest of the process is similar to trading on the traditional Amazon marketplace. You set up a store, list your products, and wait for customers to discover them. The platform has a rigorous quality control standard, and each of your items will be reviewed to ensure only the finest handmade products are available for sale.
That is what the process looks like:
- Production of Handmade Items: Every product you sell must be handcrafted by you or your production/business team member. Factory-made items are not allowed.
- Application: Fill out an application and provide information regarding your business and products to prove you’re a qualified Handmade seller.
- Fulfillment: Choose how you will fulfill your orders. You can use Fulfillment by Amazon (FBA) or Fulfil by Merchant (FBM) seller agreement.
- Set up Your Store: Create Product listings with images and descriptions and wait for customers to place an order.
Note: FBA is preferred over FBM as it offers Prime eligibility and enhances product visibility through Prime branding, attracting more customers. Amazon handles order processing, fulfillment, shipping, and customer service, leaving you with only the task of shipping your products to the Amazon warehouse. Alternatively, FBM allows you to store and fulfill orders on your own.
Should You Be Selling on Amazon Handmade?
Let’s take a look at some of the advantages of Amazon Handmade:
✔ Artisan-Only: Amazon Handmade is a platform exclusively for crafted items. The platform ensures only high-quality and hand-made products are sold. It increases customers’ interest and trust.
✔ Higher Profit Margin: With low selling costs on the platform, the profit margin can go up to 20%.
✔ Exposure: Amazon doesn’t need any introduction. More than 90% of customers have used the platform at least once. Also, with over 3 billion monthly visits, it’s one of the largest platforms in the world. Listing your products on Amazon will give you the exposure you need to succeed.
✔ Low Overhead Cost: Selling on Amazon Handmade is cheaper than on other platforms. You have to pay 15% per sale commission, and the rest is yours.
✔ Easy Fulfillment: As I mentioned above, with FBA, you can outsource the fulfillment and customer care service to Amazon and focus solely on production.
However, there are a few things that don’t board well. Let’s take a look:
🗙 High Competition: Being on the largest online marketplace, you will compete with some of the most experienced online sellers. You must come up with top-notch products and extraordinary business strategies to beat them.
🗙 High FBA Costs: FBA is excellent, but various FBA costs may confuse you and put a dent in your earnings.
🗙 Late Approval: The screening process is strict, and it may take a long time to get approval. Usually, it takes two weeks.
How to Sell on Amazon Handmade: How Much Does It Cost?
It is free to sell on Amazon, once your account is approved. There are no monthly subscription fees, listing or hidden fees.
Though, Amazon charges you with every item sold.
We have listed below the categories & the referral percentage fees.
|Sr.No.||HANDMADE CATEGORIES||REFERRAL FEE PERCENTAGES|
|4.||Beauty and Personal Care||15%|
|9.||Toys & Games||15%|
How to Sell on Amazon Handmade and Where to Begin?
First, you must study the market and find a product worth selling. Understand that you can’t import handmade products in bulk and start selling. Amazon has categorized handmade products into three categories:
- Handcrafted products are made entirely by you or your team in your facility.
- Hand-altered products are modified products using alterations and handicraft techniques.
- Handmade customized products are customized by you using names, slogans, pictures, etc.
To find a profitable product, you must spend time on Amazon, Etsy, and Google to find the top-trending handmade products. Once you’ve shortlisted some, use Google Analytics or any FBA tool to find the product’s profitability, sales estimation, and current demand.
Lastly, you must manufacture the products before you hit the next step – applying for a handmade seller license.
Here is what you need to know about How to Sell on Amazon Handmade and Where to Begin:
1. Set up an Amazon Seller Account
The process is simple. Go to https://sell.amazon.com/programs/handmade and register using your name and email. If you already have a seller account, you can move to step 2 by clicking on Apply Now.
2. Apply For Amazon Handmade Program
Here are the steps you need to follow to apply for the handmade seller program:
- Select the marketplace where you want to conduct your business.
- Select your business location and business type, and provide your full name.
- Next, you have to talk about your handmade business type.
- Provide information regarding your products, production process, materials used, production and customization techniques, production time, etc.
- Upload high-quality product images to give a better idea of your products.
- Make sure you choose the product category correctly. Incorrect selection may result in disqualification.
- Submit the application and wait for the response.
Note: To sell the handmade products, you need to register for a Professional seller account which costs $39.99/month. Once your handmade seller account is approved, your monthly fee will be waived.
3. Create Product Listings
The next step is to create product listings using high-volume keywords, product images, and details. Here are a few tips:
- Choose a catchy product title to attract customers. Make sure you follow Amazon’s guidelines not to exceed the character limit.
- Provide as much information about the product as possible such as material, warranty, return policy, shipping duration, etc. Remember, the competition is pretty tough, and customers won’t spend time on your page if they don’t get the required information.
- Use high-quality product images with white backgrounds only.
- Create a Q&A section to engage with customers and answer their queries honestly.
4. Advertise Your Products
Once you’re done with listings, you are all set! But you can start promoting your products right away. Use social media platforms for marketing your storefront and products. Hire social media influencers to spread the good word about your products. You can also use the Amazon Influencer program to find social media faces in exchange for a small commission.
Amazon Handmade Pros & Cons
Let’s have a look at the Pros & Cons of Amazon Handmade
Amazon Handmade Pros
- Amazon is a huge market with millions of potential client.
- Amazon wont charge you for listing products/items.
- This is just for Amazon Handmade products and only such products are sold on this platform.
Amazon Handmade Cons
- Fees for Amazon Handmade are very high.
- The payment process is slow. It takes 2 weeks to receive.
- It has a limited search visibility.
How to Sell on Amazon Handmade: Amazon Handmade Vs Etsy
Lets look at the table below and check the comparison
|Sr. No.||Features||Amazon Handmade||Etsy|
|1.||Product Listing||You can list as many as you want and the list wont expire.||Listing on Etsy will charge you $0.20 each which expires every 4 months|
|2.||Fees||15% per sale||$0.20 per item|
5% transaction fees
3% + $0.25 for credit cards
|3.||Advertising||Amazon Sponsored Products Ads||Etsy Advertising|
|4.||Categories||14 Categories for Amazon Handmade||160 Categories for Etsy|
|5.||Payments||You will be paid after 2 weeks||Payment is done immediately|
|6.||Account Requirements||Should produce own products with less than 20 people & need to fill out an application||No approval required to open an account on Etsy.|
- Amazon FBA Fees
- Amazon OTT Advertising
- What Is Amazon FBA & How Does It Work?
- How to Sell Used Items on Amazon
- How to Find a Seller On Amazon In 2023
The Bottom Line: How To Sell On Amazon Handmade
Amazon Handmade provides exceptional opportunities to get your handcrafted goods seen by millions of potential customers. Compared to other handmade product platforms like Etsy, Amazon can give you better exposure and a bigger market which is relatively untapped.
The rest depends on your product quality, the customer service you provide, and your marketing strategy. Amazon is a challenging platform to sell unless you have a full-proof business model. I hope this gave you your answer on How to Sell on Amazon Handmade. Feel free to comment about any doubt or question.
- Helium 10 Black Friday 2023 — Exclusive 20% Off For 6 Months - September 18, 2023
- How to Sell on Amazon Handmade(2023): Tips & Tricks - July 21, 2023
- How To Find Amazon Storefront: The Best Guide 2023 - June 15, 2023