Looking to Sell on eBay but not sure how to sell on eBay? Then, You are at the right place. Compared to other mainstream platforms such as Amazon, it’s easier to start on eBay. Stay with me and I’ll walk you through the whole process of creating your eBay store.
Since its inception in 1995, eBay has been amongst the top players in the e-commerce arena. Every month, millions of customers visit the website and buy products online. Although recently, the company has seen a slight downfall in terms of revenue, it’s still a go-to place for online shoppers in 32 countries.
The company provides B2C and B2B sales through its website which means anyone can trade on eBay. Even if you have a used product, a spare part, or even an antique item, you can just create an eBay account and put it for sale.
In this article, I will talk about the basic requirements of How to Sell on eBay as well as the step-by-step process to create an eBay account. Let’s dig right in on How to Sell on eBay.
How to Sell on eBay: The Possibilities Are Unlimited!
With over 100 million visitors each month, eBay provides you with a huge market for your products. Whether you are an aspiring entrepreneur, a small enterprise, or just looking for a side hustle, eBay gives you the platform to promote your products to millions of customers who visit the company’s website every month.
Selling on eBay is relatively easy. If you already have the products to sell, all you need to do is create an eBay account and list your products. If you are planning to launch a full-fledged business, you should find a profitable product to sell. eBay doesn’t allow certain items on its website so make sure you go through the guidelines thoroughly before buying the inventory.
Do a little bit of product research and find out which category has the top-selling products. Compare product prices from different sellers on eBay as well as from other online marketplaces. You need to find the balance between product popularity, profit, and competition. Look for a less-competitive product that is easier to sell such as pet supplies, stationary, handicraft products, and more.
You also need to figure out the shipping methods you are going to use, payment methods, and the mode of customer care. Once you are set with all this, you can start creating product listings. With eBay, you need to pay a fixed amount to list your products but you do get a certain free listing each month, depending on your subscription plan.
How to Sell on eBay: A Beginner’s Guide
Here are the steps to start selling on eBay.
1. Select Your Account Type – How to Sell on eBay
eBay offers 2 types of seller accounts – Personal and Business. If you are a newbie or just need to sell a particular item on eBay, the Personal account is the one for you. A business account is more suitable for large-scale businesses that have hundreds of products to sell every month.
Regardless of the scale of your venture, it’s smart to start with a Personal account and see how things work out for you before making a switch to a Professional account. Personal account has some limitations, but nothing that you will miss in the early days as an eBay seller.
2. Create A Seller Account – How to Sell on eBay
To register yourself on eBay, take the following steps:
- Visit https://www.ebay.com/sl/sell and click on My eBay at the top-right corner of the screen. This will redirect to the Seller login page.
- Click on Create an Account. This will take you to the registration page.
- Pick the account type and provide your name, email, and choose a password.
- Click on Create account to finish the registration.
- Select your country of residence, address, and phone number. Click on Continue.
You will be asked to confirm your email address and redirected to your eBay seller page.
3. Modify Your eBay Account Settings – How to Sell on eBay
Your eBay seller page contains all the information regarding your account, product listing, orders, and more. Before you continue to create listings, you should modify your account preferences.
To modify the settings, you need to click on Account Settings and you will a bunch of options. This is what you can do:
- Change your name, email, address, phone number, and residential address.
- Add/remove payment methods, Connect to PayPal, and set up a third-party payment processor.
- Change your passwords, modify Login preferences, check your Sign-in history, connect your social media channels, and more.
4. Create Product Listings – How to Sell on eBay
Once you are done with the setup, it’s time to create product listings. Make sure you have all the information available regarding your products. Here are the steps you need to take:
- From your Seller page, click on List an item.
- On the next page, type in the box what product you are selling and click on the Search button.
- You will see the recommended Product category. You can also scroll down and pick the category you want.
Next, you will be redirected to the listing page. Here you need to provide all the information regarding the product, shipping, pricing, and more. You can also add up to 24 photos and video descriptions. Try to be accurate with details and articulate with description. Remember that customers want to see genuine product descriptions. You need to convince the buyers that you have the product they’re looking for.
- Add product photos and videos
- Pick a Title for your listing, choose the product category, and describe the condition of the item (New, Used, missing parts, and functioning).
- Write an attractive product description with all the necessary attributes and advantages of the products.
- Choose the selling format. Set it to Buy It Now, if you want to sell your product normally. Pick an auction if you want to auction it out.
- Give the product price. Remember it’s the lowest price you are willing to sell your product for. Be smart while choosing the pricing.
- You can choose to Schedule your listing to a specific date and time. Otherwise, your listing will go live immediately.
- Choose the shipping method and provide the correct size and weight of the package. (not the item).
- Choose the Shipping cost type, domestic service you are using, and handling time.
- Modify your payment preferences, and return policy for domestic and international locations.
You can save the listing or publish it straight away.
The Cost of Selling on eBay – How to Sell on eBay
Of course, selling on eBay will cost you money. Although you can create a seller account for free, there are certain expenses you can’t avoid. Let’s find out:
1. Insertion Fee – How to Sell on eBay
If you create more than 150 product listings a month, you will have to pay an insertion fee. It’s the amount you pay to eBay to show your product listings on its website. It’s a non-refundable amount that you need to pay before your product listings go live. Mind you, your listings have a limited time validity and if your product doesn’t sell before the listing expires, you’ll have to pay the insertion fee again to list it on the website.
2. Final Value Fee – How to Sell on eBay
You will pay a fixed commission to eBay on every successful sale as a Final Value fee. For each sale, eBay keeps 10-12.5% + $0.30 order fee.
3. Additional Costs – How to Sell on eBay
Other expenses include label printing, shipping, and payment processing costs. If you opt for PayPal payment, you need to pay a certain percentage to PayPal to collect your payment on your behalf. Similarly, if you choose eBay’s order processing, such as packaging and label printing, you are required to pay for that.
Conclusion: How To Sell On eBay In 2023
As you can see, selling on eBay is not as complex as it’s on some other marketplaces. Even for someone with little knowledge of online marketing, it’s a great place to sell. The seller central is intuitive and it won’t take you long to get hold of tools and features. If you already have the product to sell, it won’t take you more than 10 minutes to register and create the listing.
If you don’t make a profit initially, don’t give up. Check your competitors’ listings, find out high-volume keywords, and keep optimizing your listings. Hope now you exactly know How to Sell on eBay and will make great profit soon.
- Helium 10 Black Friday 2023 — Exclusive 20% Off For 6 Months - September 18, 2023
- How to Sell on Amazon Handmade(2023): Tips & Tricks - July 21, 2023
- How To Find Amazon Storefront: The Best Guide 2023 - June 15, 2023