Are you looking to know How to Sell On Walmart? Trying to list your products on the Walmart marketplace but don’t know how to reach the buyer? Don’t worry; I have got your back with this definitive guide on How to Sell On Walmart.
Walmart is a multi-billion dollar company that offers an excellent opportunity to launch your eCommerce store. But it takes a professional assistant to join their partner program. Lack of knowledge or documents can reject approval.
With this post, I have brought to you every essential step you need to take before you start selling at Walmart.
Let’s get started with How to Sell On Walmart in 2023.
What is Walmart Marketplace? – How to Sell On Walmart
Walmart is a US-based multinational e-commerce and retail corporation with a chain of hypermarkets, discount stores, and grocery stores in 24 countries. Currently, Walmart has more than 10,500 retail stores in those countries.
Walmart offers a great platform for third-party sellers to list their products, similar to Amazon and eBay. With the help of this platform, you can get your items before a vast audience and create multiple options to generate revenue.
Required Documents for Approval – How to Sell On Walmart
Requirements for Applying for a Walmart marketplace seller are a little bit more demanding than Amazon. That’s why Walmart is not a suitable place to start for beginners. It would be a lot easier if you had a well-established business before applying as a Walmart seller.
- US Business Tax ID and Business address (Social Security Number is not accepted)
- Address Proof of the place of physical operations
- EIN (Employer Identification Number) Verification letter from the US Department of the treasury, which verifies your business address of physical operations in the US.
- If you’re a US citizen, attach your W-9 form. Or, if you live outside the US, attach your W-8 form to verify your country of residence for taxes.
- Product catalogue through Planned Integration (API, solution provider, or bulk upload)
- Product information (such as catalogue size, product category, etc.)
If you’re using Walmart Fulfillment Services (WFS), you must follow the information below.
- Your listed products must be shipped only from the US Walmart’s fulfilment centres.
- The weight of the product shouldn’t be more than 30 lbs
- The dimensions of a product shouldn’t be more than 25″×20″×14″.
- No fragile or regulated products
How to Sell On Walmart? (Step By Step)
Let’s see what is the process of How to Sell On Walmart? What all things you need to go through before launching your store on Walmart.
Step #1 – Request to Sell Application
Once you are ready to join Walmart Seller’s community, you can click here to start the registration process to become a Walmart Seller. On this page, you can read about the requirements for the sellers. Once you have everything, you click on Start Application to begin registration.
Step #2 – Company Registration
In the top section, you have to fill in your name, email address, and job title.
In the middle section, you have to fill in the details of your W-9 or W-8 by uploading relevant files and attachments.
In the last section, you must provide your legal US address. If your business offices or warehouses are outside the US, you can also add those locations.
Once all the details are filled in, you can save and click on the “Next” button to move further to the registration wizard.
Step #3 – Customize your Partner Profile
After filling in your personal details, you will automatically be redirected to the Walmart Seller Center. Here you can customize your partner profile by providing the information given below.
This is the most crucial part of your registration. You must provide your company information in this section. Otherwise, the marketplace won’t allow you to launch your store. This section must provide your company name, logo, and business description. Make sure to proofread your company name and description before updating.
In this section, you must provide your company’s customer service policies.
- Customer Service Email: Customers can use this email for communication. Walmart has an end-to-end encryption policy, so your communication will be private.
- Customer Service Contact Number: Customers can use this number to get solutions for basic queries.
- Escalation Email: If the service email and contact number are unavailable, customers can use this email to send a ticket for assistance. Walmart’s Customer Support staff uses this email.
- Service Policy: Customers can review your customer service policies. You must include your service hours, email, and contact information in your service policy.
Shipping and Delivery
Update your partner profile by providing shipping information.
- Shipping Charges: You can set your shipping methods, shipping rates, and shipping regions. If you need to update it in the future, you can change it later.
- Standard Processing Schedule: You can provide the exact operational days and hours of the shipping. This must be accurate so that customers can track the order process.
- Shipping Policy: In this section, summarize your shipping and fulfillment policies. If you choose a third-party e-commerce platform to ship your products, you must already have a policy.
You can set your return methods, fees, and rules in your partner profile. But you must comply with Walmart’s return policies. In this section, there are five subsections that you must fill.
- General Return Settings: Provide information about how the shoppers will return items and how your team is going to issue refunds.
- Return Centers: Walmart chooses the closest return center location according to the customer. however, you can select a specific return center for your products to be returned.
- Return Rules: In this section, you can specify your restocking fees, return shipping fees, and return policies.
- Keep It Rules: In some cases, you might encounter returns of cost-effective products. In this case, you can set “Keep It” rules where shoppers can’t return products.
- Return Policy: Summarize the return policy within 4000 characters so that customers can read your return policy before buying a product.
Users pay certain taxes which depend on a particular product. You must provide all the information about the taxes, such as shipping tax codes, Nexus. And don’t forget to write about sales tax policy.
Once you complete your partner profile, the progress will reach 100%, and you will be checked off as complete.
Step #4 – Build Your Product Catalog
After completing the partner profile, choose an integration method to build a product catalog on Walmart. You will get four options to choose from.
- API Method
- Bulk Upload Method
- Solution Provider
- Single Item Method
After selecting one of these integrations, you have to follow these steps.
- Choose a suitable category and subcategory for your products. Walmart has 24 main categories. Each category has subcategories under them. You can select which is appropriate for your item.
- Upload the relevant product image and attack URLs by following Walmart guidelines.
- Prepare the product set-up feed. (Use XML format in API and for Bulk method, send the set-up feed in Excel files)
- Upload the product set-up feed.
Step #5 – Test Your Order Fulfillment
To provide the best shopping experience to your audience, you must preview your product listings and test your order fulfillment. This procedure makes sure the shoppers can view and buy your products.
You can preview your listed items via your seller center account. If you can’t preview any items, you can access your inventory by clicking on “Launch Checklist,” and then you can do the order testing.
If you’re doing order testing, it means your products are going to launch on Walmart Marketplace. It is necessary to stick with the Walmart recommendations for product testing because you are about to make your product accessible across the Walmart marketplace. That’s why you must follow these recommendations.
- Do order fulfillment test on 2-3 products
- Update every product inventory to one
- Set prices to $19.99 or less
Publish your items right before you do the order testing. To do the testing, create a customer account. Find your product, add it to the cart and complete your purchase. You can also check order adjustments, shipping details, and order cancellation. If something goes wrong, you can make changes right away.
Step #6 – Ready to Launch
Once all the requirements are completed, you can start launching your products on the marketplace. However, Walmart’s integration team will review your profile and the order tests you have made.
The team will check at least two things on your profile:
- You must have uploaded 1000 or 10% of the items in your catalog.
- At least 95% of your items must be appropriately classified.
Once you have followed all the steps, you can launch your store by clicking on “Ready to Launch,” and a pop-up will appear asking you to click on Confirm. After clicking on Confirm, the confirmation message will be sent to Walmart’s team. The integration team will evaluate your profile. If everything has been done correctly, you will get an approval message. Walmart will launch your catalog within 48 hours of the approval message.
How Much Does it Cost to sell on Walmart Marketplace?
Unlike Amazon, Walmart doesn’t charge any monthly fees to do business on their platform. Walmart only charges a reasonable referral fee ranging from 6% to 15% (rates are based on different categories) on every successful purchase. If sellers are fulfilling all the orders by themselves, they have to pay only referral fees.
If sellers are using WFS, they have to pay additional fees along with the referral fees. But you don’t have to worry about the shipping and other fulfillments.
Benefits of Selling on Walmart – How to Sell On Walmart
There are a lot of benefits of selling your products on Walmart. Here are some of them.
Unlimited Product Assortment
Walmart doesn’t have a minimum or maximum SKU (Stock Keeping Unit) on their marketplace. Sellers can take advantage of this opportunity and list their entire catalog. But make sure any of your products are not on Walmart’s prohibited list.
Limited Seller Fees
Walmart charges a limited referral fee to their seller. And they don’t charge any monthly fee to sell on its platform.
Create Your Own Return Policy
Walmart allows you to set your own return policy. This way, you will have more control over returns, and you can set valid terms which are best for your business.
Reach New Audience Every Month
Walmart gains more than 100 million unique visitors every month, and the numbers are increasing rapidly. And their EDLP (Everyday low prices) attracts more visitors who are looking for affordable products.
As I already mentioned, becoming a Walmart marketplace seller is not a piece of cake. That’s why only settled business people can become partners of this platform. Since it is less crowded, you will get less competition, and you can take advantage of this opportunity. And you will also get a better chance of winning the Buy Box.
- Walmart vs Amazon
- How to Increase Sales on Amazon
- Is Selling On Amazon Still Worth It
- How to Sell on Amazon Handmade In A Few Steps
- Best Products To Sell Online
- Comparing Walmart and Amazon in 2023: Which is the better platform for selling
Conclusion: How to Sell On Walmart (2023)
The e-commerce business has been snowballing in the last few years. The number of sellers are also multiplying. Walmart is one of the top 3 e-commerce companies in the world. That’s why it is vital to know the factors of the registration to become the selling partner.
If you are eligible and follow every step carefully, no one can stop you from launching your store on this great platform.
Frequently Asked Questions: How to Sell On Walmart
How much does it cost to sell at Walmart?
There is no setup or monthly fee, but sellers have to pay some percentage when they sell a product; the fees may vary from 6% to 15% depending on the category and product that you have sold.
Can I sell on both Walmart and Amazon?
Absolutely. To get approved to sell to Walmart, you need to be an established ecommerce seller, so Walmart sellers are also selling on Etsy, Amazon, and Shopify.
Is it a good suggestion to sell on Walmart?
All the experienced ecommerce sellers agree that it is a good suggestion to sell your products if you get approved to sell the product on Walmart, which helps you to expand your ecommerce business.
- Jungle Scout Review 2023: Pricing, Pros, Cons & Alternatives - August 7, 2023
- Helium 10 Coupon Discount 2023: Get 25% Off Your Purchase! - August 5, 2023
- 13 Amazon Seller Tools That Will Help You Grow Your Business - August 3, 2023